Tuesday, January 6, 2009

O'Connor's Butternut Squash Bisque

This recipe is the recipe used at one of my favorite Irish restaurants. A few years ago the chef was so kind as to share it. I now understand why he didn't mind sharing- I can never make it taste quite like they do! Nonetheless, this recipe will still make a really good bisque. I like to add a pinch of salt and a healthy shake of pepper to taste at the end to give it a bit more bite.

Ingredients
1 cud melted butter
1 cud flour
5 cud chicken stock
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup half-n-half
5 cups Diced butternut squash


Directions
Melt 1 cup of butter.
Add 5 cups of diced butternut squash. Cook gently until squash is well broken down.
Mix in the flour to bind ingredients.Cook slowly for a few minutes.
Cool slightly.
Gradually add the chicken stock stirring constantly.
Stir to the boil.
Using a wire whisk stir in the brown sugar, honey, cinnamon and nutmeg, mixing well to combine all
ingredients.
Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes stirring frequently.
When soup is smooth, add 1 cup of half and half, adjust seasoning to taste.

10 comments:

  1. Is there ANY chance this is the O'Connor's of Worceste, MA? Their Butternut Squash Bisque is out of this world, and with the brown sugar and honey in this recipe, I'm thinking it's the same one. I so very much hope so...I'll be trying it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I am about a year late to this comment, but I somehow managed never to receive the comment alerts in my email. This IS the exact recipe straight from the chef at O'Connors in Worcester. I agree theirs is the best! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I love you for posting this recipe. Between like 2002 and 2004 I was looking for this recipe trying everything to replicate it. And you got it right from the chef. This is going in my book. Thank you so much. The soup is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking for a good butternut squash soup recipe and fortunately ran across this one today. I live just outside Worcester and have had the pleasure of enjoying this incredible bisque at O'Connors! Thank you for sharing. 5 stars!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this tonight with Bob Red Mill's 1 for 1 Gluten Free Baking Flour instead of "real" flour, and it was the best I've made. Agree on the healthy dose of S & P at serving time. Some day I'll measure how much of each, so when I serve it at a party it is pre-adjusted, but EXCELLENT! Thanks Suzie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s funny cause I think people believe that just cause we’re food bloggers means that we have all of the time in the world to cook dinner. I find myself scrambling every single night! These recipes are awesome and will be a total life-saver!
    Harold Burton

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love gloomy days but I tend to be way less productive because I want to sink into watch a movie under covers all day.
    Joseph Donahue

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like making breakfast with my kids. I tend to be a bit of a control freak in the kitchen, though. I often find it best to point them in the right direction, then move to another room of the house until they need help witg something.
    Kelly Hubbard

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somehow I missed the temperature to bake the chicke. This really iced sounds delicious and easy yo make. Can’t wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete